Effective on July 1, 2021, Poweshiek County will replace its current alert and notification system as part of the State of Iowa’s free Alert Iowa program to Rave Alert and Smart911. To sign up, visit: https: www.smart911.com/smart911/ref/reg.action?pa=poweshiekcosheriff or download the Smart911 App. Effective July 1, 2021, Poweshiek County, and Alert Iowa will no longer utilize the current system. To ensure that county residents receive the latest weather alerts and emergency notices, Poweshiek County Emergency Management personnel encourages county residents to re-register through the new system. As before, this system is a free opt-in service with no cost to county residents, though standard data and messaging rates may apply from your carrier.
With this switch, county residents will have access to new features and functions that will enhance how they receive alerts.
• The free Smart911 App allows county residents to receive push notification, including National Weather Service Warnings, and set up a user profile for county residents and their families that includes the option to add multiple addresses and numbers. The app also features many useful pieces of information that may be needed in a disaster or emergency.
• For those who do not want to use the app, a Poweshiek County opt-in page is available for county residents to sign up at the link above, or by visiting www.poweshiekready.org and clicking on the PCENS/Alert Iowa icon on the homepage. The opt-in page will now also allow county residents to create a user account profile, and sign-up multiple addresses and phone numbers.
• Users can now sign up and receive alerts in languages other than English. In fact, there are 56 languages available to receive alerts in.
• This app and account have the ability to provide information to access and functional needs registry, which will be used in the event of a disaster or emergency to effected groups as well as other information that may help emergency responders.
• Residents can now text to receive alerts and notifications also. County residents may text the following keywords to 672-83 to automatically be opted in to receive alerts.
For more information on the Alert Iowa program, please visit the Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management website: https://homelandsecurity.iowa.gov/programs/alert-iowa/
For more information on Rave Alert and the Smart911 App visit: www.ravemobilesafety.com/public-safety-solutions.